Monday, September 12, 2011

OMG, I love Bavaria!!

This is absolutely one of my favorite places on earth! The breathtaking mountains, the warm people, the great food & beer, and the unique culture. I love it all and could see spending two weeks here alone. Maybe next time.

We arrived in Berchtesgaden National Park on Sunday night. The park is nestled in the far southeast corner of Germany, surrounded by Austria on three sides. Just a stone's throw from Salzurg. The little towns within the park are so quaint. Lots of typical Bavarian chalets with beautiful flowers hanging from the windows.

View from my patio of the Watzmann. Fabulous!!
We definitely scored big with our lodging here at the Gasthaus Boehm. Check out the view from my room! Jeff & Leigh are right next door with the same view. It's so beautiful I hate to go to sleep at night.

Today we hiked the Almbachklamm (gorge). I don't know the mileage, but it was a very challenging 4-hour hike from the bottom of the gorge to the top of the mountain, and back down again. BEAUTIFUL!! Worth every aching joint and muscle. I'm very proud of all three of us, and tonight we celebrated with a good German beer and a typical bavarian dinner of schnitzel, potatoes & spatzel (sp?). Mmmmm!!

We earned this beer!!
Tomorrow we're heading out early for a boat trip on Konigsee (the King's lake), then planning to ride the gondola up Mount Jenner and hike back down. It's supposed to be a gorgeous day, so look for some good pics tomorrow night.










Schnitzel with potatoes & dumplings
Waterfalls in Almbachklamm




















Hiking the Almblachklamm. I love this stuff!

Jeff & Leigh enjoying the view




















The Watzmann, from the top of our hike.
Even saw a few billy goats















Beautiful church in the meadow at Ettenberg, near the top
Fabulous views from the top
Lovely meadows everywhere near the top. Amazing! 

2 comments:

BarbD said...

Wow, that is one BIG BEER! I haven't seen one that large since Karl was in last.

Looks like you're having fun in your travels. Enjoy, and we'll see you when you're back!

Eike said...

OMG I have been exactly where you are and I am totally home sick-have a blast and enjoy those Spaetzle-Have fun Eike & Mark